May 8, 2009

Congressional Black Caucus Wants 2nd Black Justice on Supreme Court


I want the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) to be relevant. I want them to hold congressional hearings on taser torture in America.

What I want doesn't much matter.

Instead of doing these good works, we learn that the CBC leadership is "launching a campaign to persuade President Obama to appoint one of their members," Rep. Bobby Scott (D-VA), to replace Justice David Souter on the Supreme Court.

The CBC and Rep. Bobby Scott are tone-deaf. They should be working with the Congressional Hispanic Council to support the idea of a woman or a Hispanic candidate as the next Supreme Court justice. This isn't the right time to advocate for a 2nd Black justice. We've never had a Hispanic judge in over 200 years ... and we've only had two women justices on the court. Obama needs to deal with either or both of those issues with this selection.

Just my thought ... what say u?

5 comments:

Mac Daddy Tribute Blog said...

I agree: it should be a woman, preferably an hispanic woman, of independent mind and strong character to counter the right-wing minds and lack of character in Scalia and Thomas.

A.Smith said...

Oh gosh am I glad to hear you say you need the CBC to be relevant. I need ALL our Black orgs and reps to get it together and start to represent Black Americans of 2009, not those from 1965.

The CBC has been far to obstinate and it's like they don't read the news or something. They don't get it -- and that's a shame.

Big Mama said...

A Hispanic woman with wisdom, integrity, and a proven "track record" sound like a winner to me.

Thank you for my award, Omo!

Unknown said...

MacDaddy and Iya - It appears that there are three women at the top of the so-called 'short list'. My hope is that they are doing a good job of vetting the 3 candidates...

A. Smith - Just callin' 'em as I see 'em...

Monica Roberts said...

I agree with the CBC. We need another Black justice on the Court to counteract Clarence Thomas' self hatred.

Just not right now.