September 5, 2014

Old School Friday: The O'Jays and Simply Red

The theme for this week's Old School Friday meme is All About the Benjamins.

The first song that came to mind was simple ... who doesn't remember The O'Jays talking about cash money in their 1974 hit song, For The Love of Money!



However, my current economic situation seems to flow more with Simply Red and his lyrics from his first big hit, Money's Too Tight To Mention:

I been laid off, my rent is due
My kids all need brand new shoes
So I went to the bank to see what they could do
They said 'son looks like bad luck got a hold on you'

6 comments:

SjP said...

I knew the O'Jays would make to the top this week. Can hardly select a cut about money and NOT pick the O'Jays.

But, in anticipation, I chose to further my message to the young SjP's about the benjamins this week. Hope you get a chance to drop by.

Anonymous said...

Hey Villager!

Truth be told, I don't know any other song does it better than the O'Jays. If that's not the classic 'benjamins' song, then what is?

But I gotta admit I've always liked Simply Red too. He's unique.

iriegal said...

I agree with SJP, I knew O JAYS would rule this weeks theme. Great song, the lyrics really make you thing. Gosh, I thought I was the only one who was a Simply Red fan. I loved that group back in the 80's

PPR_Scribe said...

Whatever happened to Simply Red?

Unknown said...

All - Thanks to each of you for taking time to comment. I have been offline the past 24 hours with flu-like symptoms. I was truly knocked down & out ... just now trying to get back online and catch-up.

Anyhow, methinks that Simply Red is still touring...

Unknown said...

I agree with SJP! This theme was made for the O'Jays! You can't think of money and not think of this song!
Hope you are all better!