September 15, 2009

Tune In Tuesday: The Manhattans

I enjoy this weekly meme. It has been an opportunity for me to focus on some changes that I need to make in my life thru the music and lyrics of some great artists. Many of you young 'uns don't have any recollection of a group called The Manhattans. However, they told a powerful story with their rhythm and blues lyrics.

Tonight I'm feeling this particular song ... close your eyes and enjoy!



Womanist Musings created a weekly meme today called Tune In Tuesday. She noted that our blogs often deal with serious issues and it might be nice to lighten the atmosphere every once in awhile. Music has the ability to trigger happy memories and much of our lives are marked by song. To that end each Tuesday this blog intends to offer a song and tell you about what it triggers for me and in return you are welcome to share any memories that you have associated with it.

2 comments:

nunnya said...

I just wanted to say that music like that of the Manhattans and others like the O'Jays and the Delfonics, the Stylistics, Stevie Wonder and James Brown and more, in my humble opinion was real good music. I mean listen to the lyrics, they were expressing deep desire and love, or they were trying to raise awareness, or they were encouraging the community. Again in my humble opinion there is no greater culture than the Black Culture,and no greater hair style than the AFRO, and the music that came out of the sixties and seventies (for me) was the greatest!!!

Unknown said...

Gwen - Thank you for taking time to enjoy my Tune In Tuesday post. I agree with your assessment of the soul music from back in the day!

My 9-year old son informed me yesterday that he wants to grow an afro. I'm still not sure where he got the idea from?!? :)