August 31, 2010

Good News Tuesday: Joseph Huggins, Jr. -- Future Face of Technology

Joseph Huggins Jr. graduated from high school earlier this year. He made the decision to accept a commission with the US Navy. He left on July 27th for the Naval Academy Prep School in Newport, Rhode Island. There he will receive 10 months of extra academic and military training before being transferred to the Academy in Annapolis, Maryland.

Joseph earned Bemley Scholarships from BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF) for his performance in the 2006, 2007 and 2008 national High School Computer Competition (HSCC) championships.

Joseph was kind enough to share his thoughts on the HSCC program with us:

The day I first became a member of BDPA seems like ages ago, although it has only been five years since I first joined this program that has changed my life forever. My first year competing with the BDPA Chicago Chapter in the HSCC, I believe, was my best year. The year was 2006 and I remember walking to into a classroom and feeling intimidated by the amazing talent that surrounded me. Being only in 8th grade, I was one of the youngest students and was very shy. I knew I had my work cut out for me.

Surprisingly, the competition seemed to fade away as if it just disappeared into thin air. Somehow, after the long months of training, I found myself among the top five students selected to compete at the national conference. The Chicago Chapter took first place that year. I can remember the feeling I had that night as we were announced the first place champions of the BDPA National High School Computer Competition. Winning the national competition was one the greatest accomplishments of my life.

After my experience with BDPA in 2006, I decided to stick around and work hard in order to compete in the HSCC for the rest of my high school career. In the following three years I made the team and the Chicago Chapter placed in the top three winning teams two years in a row. I am not able to compete in the HSCC this year in 2010 due to my obligations to U.S. Navy. I have been accepted to the United States Naval Academy where I will study computer engineering and upon graduation will be a commissioned officer in the United States Navy or Marine Corps.

I would like to give thanks to the BDPA Foundation for expanding my knowledge of information technology and exposing me to the many great and amazing people I have met over the years. I would like to give special thanks to the people like Gibran McDuffie, Pamela Norfleet, Bryan Moore, Yvette Graham, and the host of other BDPA members and volunteers that have helped to shape me into the young man that I am today.

Joe is a remarkable young man. Whenever you hear a BDPAer talking about our work in advancing careers from 'the classroom to the boardroom' you would do well to remember Joe as an example of  the classroom'!   You can celebrate Joe's story best with a secure online donation to the Bemley Scholarship Fund so that we can help more young squires in the future.

No comments: